Green Filming North And South: A Comparative Analysis
The following is a quick comparison of two popular areas to film with Hollywood productions who take their film dollars out of Hollywood. Both areas, New Mexico and British Columbia, have green agendas and promote best practices when it comes to film production and responsible stewardship of the local environment.
New Mexico's Green Filmmaking Initiative is a voluntary program to encourage environmentally sensitive film & television production.
The New Mexico Film Office offers online materials to productions about the use of alternative materials and environmentally friendly practices in the production office and on-set. This would include information on: recycling; purchasing locally made and/or organic products; donating unused/unwanted items to local school, churchMeet Me Half Way
For More Information Go to Eco Consulting * Eco Media New Mexico
- Instead of using endangered rainforest hardwood (meranti/lauan), buy renewable/sustainable building materials for set construction.
- Use recycled, non-toxic and unbleached supplies (cleaning, building and office), soap, toilet paper, plates and tissue, cups, office paper, pencils, low-emission paints/chemicals, etc.
- Avoid the use of Styrofoam and other non-biodegradable products. Select caterers that do the same.
- Purchase recyclable products or products sold in recyclable packaging.
Reel Green B.C.Reel Green BC encourages partnership with green initiatives already being implemented in the community and provides tools and information for companies and individuals wishing to become more environmentally responsible in carrying out the business of motion picture and entertainment production.
Purchasing locally produced products (building materials, used merchandise, organic food from local farmers) not only contributes to the economy, it also reduces additional energy use associated with transportation. New Mexico
- Contract with a recycling service.
- Recycle sets/donate all unused or unwanted items (food, props, office supplies) to local charities, schools, animal welfare organizations, etc.
Alternative Energies Transportation And Fuels
- Lease Hybrid and/or Electric vehicles and purchase ultra low sulfur diesel for generators and vehicles.
- Contract with companies who supply vehicles that run on alternative fuels (natural gas, ethanol, bio-diesel, hydrogen).
- Contract with companies who provide natural gas or solar generators and refrigeration systems.
- Encourage car-pooling/public transportation.
- Practice eco-conscious habits such as not idling equipment and vehicles unnecessarily.
Reel Green B.C.Download Environmental Best Practices Guidelines Here What are the Benefits of Environmental Stewardship? For Companies:
• Environmental Compliance
• Efficiency Gains
• Cost Savings
• Staff Motivation
• Enhanced corporate reputation and improved stakeholder relations
• Innovation and Creativity
• Improved Risk Management For Individuals:
• Protecting one of the best places to live in the world
• Preserving our quality of life for our children and grandchildren
• Promoting energy efficiency and recycling
• Raising awareness of environmental best practices
• Practicing proactive environmental citizenship Eco Consulting * Eco Media